We're looking for an Assistant Legal Counsel. If this is you and you're looking for a new job check out the job spec below and get in touch with a covering letter and CV.
We're looking to recruit a technically capable, diligent and motivated real estate finance / property development lawyer to act as an assistant solicitor to our Legal Counsel. This role will have a strong focus on real estate finance and property law, although the candidate will also be required to assist with a variety of general counsel duties.
This position would suit a candidate with 1-2 years’ PQE in real estate finance, having managed their own caseload ideally for property developer/lender clients. Seats and / or paralegal experience in commercial property and construction law would also be highly beneficial.
We are a London based residential property developer and the successful candidate will be joining us at a time of fast growth and a widening portfolio. Since the Company was established in 2013, we have acquired approximately £56m worth of property for development into over 210 flats, with a GDV of around £125m. We have ambitions to grow significantly over the coming few years, and our portfolio is broadening in scope, geography and size of properties under acquisition - so this is a really exciting time to be joining us.
Key duties and responsibilities:
- Working closely with and assisting our Legal Counsel with our property acquisitions, focussing specifically on the organisation and administration of development finance
- Preparing, drafting and negotiating relevant finance documentation including facility agreements and security documents
- Monitoring and reporting internally on the practical operation of the finance documents e.g., drawdown mechanisms, conditions precedent, interest, re-financing, representations and warranties, events of default
- Liaising with lenders and other relevant third parties including contractors, sub-contractors, architects, structural engineers and other professional consultants in order to assist with the production of development documents
- Reviewing and negotiating JCT design and build contracts and professional appointments
- Assisting with risk and compliance matters
- Assisting with company administration tasks such as company board minutes and resolutions (although please note that you will not be expected to undertake full company secretary duties)
- Assisting with onward plot sales as necessary
- Assisting with general internal legal queries as necessary
- Liaising with our external legal providers as and when appropriate
- Minimum 1-2 years’ PQE in real estate finance / banking law
- Excellent academics (minimum 2:1 degree)
- Training contract completed at city or large regional law firm
- Seats and / or paralegal experience also completed in corporate commercial, commercial property and construction law not essential but highly desirable
- Excellent technical skills coupled with a wider understanding of what makes a deal commercially viable
- Proactive and “can do” attitude, with a readiness to take responsibility and use own initiative
- Problem solving ability and creative mindset
- Excellent interpersonal skills and positive team ethos
- Strong communication skills, verbal and written
Reporting to: Legal Counsel
Pay Scale: TBC, depending on candidate
Working hours: Full-time, permanent position working Mondays to Fridays.
DIRECT APPLICATIONS ONLY - NO AGENCIES PLEASE